- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add the melted butter, vanilla, and milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is smooth.
- In a saucepan, bring the maple syrup and water to a boil.
- With wet hands, shape about 16 balls with the dough. Moisten your hands frequently to prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers. Push a piece of apple in each ball.
- Progressively drop the dumplings in the boiling syrup.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the dumplings with the hot syrup. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.