- Grate the zest of 2 limes and squeeze the juice of 4 limes.
- In a double boiler, combine all the ingredients except the eggs. Cook gently, stirring with wooden spoon, until the sugar has dissolved. Slowly temper the eggs with the hot mixture while whisking.
- Pour back in the double boiler. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes or until it thickens.
- The curd should never boil.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate. Serve cold with scones, muffins or pound cake.
This spread is delicious incorporated in equal shares lime curd and whipped cream, to garnish fresh fruit. I also use it to garnish lime tarts.