- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Wrap a slice of ham around 4 asparagus. Place the rolls, side by side, in a buttered baking dish.
- Pour about half of the hollandaise sauce. Top with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes and finish baking under the broiler to brown.
- For appetizers, serve 2 rolls per person.
You've probably noticed that the stalk of the asparagus is tougher than its tip. This means that the tip requires less cooking than the stalk. That's why there are kettles in which asparagus spears are standing in a metal basket. It is immersed in boiling water, allowing for even cooking. We could do the same thing using an empty tin can, open at both ends. Cooking the asparagus standing prevents the heads from being damaged.
To keep the asparagus fresh for a longer time, wrap them in a wet towel, stored in a plastic bag in the lowest drawer of the refrigerator.