- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Add the bread cubes and let soak for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until smooth, about 5 minutes. Stir the butter and egg mixture into the bread mixture. Gently stir in the blueberries. Spread the mixture into an 8-cup (2 litre) glass baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the pudding cake is golden and has slightly risen.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the maple syrup, water and sugar to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, using a fork, combine the butter and flour. Gradually add the butter mixture to the sauce, stirring until it thickens.
- Serve the blueberry pudding cake warm, accompanied with warm maple sauce.
You can also use 1 ½ cups (375 ml) of maple syrup in the sauce and omit the sugar.