- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, powdered almonds and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat until smooth and creamy. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients.
- With floured hands, shape dough into balls, about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) each. Arrange on the cookie sheet. With the tip of a thumb, press the centre of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies start to brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet.
- Using a spoon or a small pastry bag, fill the thumbprints with melted chocolate. Lay an almond on the chocolate. Let the chocolate harden for 2 to 4 hours.