- In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a plate, combine the flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, brown the bacon in the oil over medium heat until it is crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Keep the fat in the skillet.
- Place the buttermilk in a shallow dish. Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk, then dip into the crumb mixture to thoroughly coat. Cook half the tomato slices in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately as an appetizer or as a side dish to fish or poultry. Garnish with the sauce and bacon.
Variation: You can also serve the tomatoes sandwiched between two slices of rye bread topped with bacon, sauce and Boston lettuce.
The fried green tomatoes were originally cooked in bacon fat, but you can simply cook them in oil.