- In a large pot, bring the sugar, water, honey and corn syrup to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 220°F (105°C), about 30 minutes. Let the syrup cool.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180 °C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the nuts. Set aside 3 tbsp of the mixture for serving.
- Cut the pastry sheets in half to make rectangles the size of the baking dish.
- On a work surface, using a pastry brush, brush 5 pastry sheets with butter, layering them on top of each other. Transfer to the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with a layer of nuts. Alternate layers of dough and nuts for the remaining ingredients. Do not fill the baking dish more than three-quarters full.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Right out of the oven, pour all the syrup over the baklava for a sweeter version, or about three-quarters of the syrup if you want a less sweet baklava. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and cool completely before cutting into pieces.