- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Pulse for a few seconds. Add the butter and pulse, a few seconds at a time, until the mixture has a grainy texture. Add the milk. Pulse a few seconds at a time, adding a little milk if necessary, until the dough begins to form a ball.
- Remove the dough from the processor. Form into a ball with your hands. Cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and line a 23-cm (9-inch) square pie plate with a removable bottom or a 25-cm (10-inch) round pie plate of the same type. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With a rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F)
- In a bowl, cream the butter with the brown sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes. Add the eggs and flour. Beat for 1 minute.
- Pour into the pie crust. Scatter the dates on the filling. Bake for about 50 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.