- In a saucepan, bring the water, vegetables, thyme, bay leaf, vinegar, and salt to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Add the fish. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 7 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Skim thoroughly while cooking.
- Meanwhile, gently cook the butter until golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Careful not to burn the butter.
- Remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice, capers and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the fish. If desired, serve with Piperade.
Skate is an ideal fish for people who do not particularly like fish. The skate wing does not have a strong "fish flavor", its flavor is delicate and it has no bones! One could even say that its texture more closely resembles chicken rather than fish. When buying, be sure to choose a fresh skate, one that does not emit a strong odor of ammonia. Count on a 650 g wing serving two people. Before cooking, it is important to rinse the wing for at least one minute under cold running water to remove the smell of ammonia. If the smell persists even after a second rinse, your wing is not fresh! After cooking, if the flesh remains white and viscous, it is undercooked. Skate is a fish that is very suitable for a dinner party because the wing is very pretty on the plate. However, order it at your fish market, because it is not easily found.