- Soak the peas in the water for about 4 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl of cold water, soak the salt pork for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, brown the onions in the butter. Add the carrots and celery. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, drained peas, meat and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours or until the peas are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Remove the meat from the fat of the salt pork, chop into small dice and return to the pot.
- Add the savory. Adjust the seasoning and serve.