- In a bowl, rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms in the boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a wok over high heat, brown the meat in the peanut oil. Add the cabbage and carrots and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add more oil, as needed. Add the fish sauce, mirin, garlic and five-spice. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until the mixture is at room temperature. Add the rice noodles and shiitake mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to high. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- For each roll, place a square of dough diagonally on a work surface and brush with the egg. Using a spoon, spread about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the filling along the horizontal centre of the square. Fold the two corners from both sides onto the filling. Fold the bottom edge up over the filling. Roll up tightly to enclose the filling for an approximately 5-inch (13 cm) cylinder. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Fry six rolls at a time for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Watch out for splattering. Drain on the baking sheet.
- Serve the rolls with the sauce.
For 1 cup (250 ml) of cooked rice vermicelli, add about 2 oz (50 g) of noodles to a pot of boiling water. Remove from the heat and let stand for 3 minutes or until tender. Rinse with cold water and drain.