- In a saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Cook without stirring until the mixture begins to turn golden. Remove from the heat and add the coconut. Allow the caramel to brown and quickly pour into a 20-cm (8-inch) in diameter soufflé dish. Let cool.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, condensed milk, lime zest and juice with a whisk until everything is smooth. Whisk in the hot coconut milk. Pour into the dish.
- Prepare a bain-marie, that is to say, put a towel in bottom of large pan, place the soufflé dish and fill the pan with steaming hot water halfway up the dish. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes (depending on thickness of the mould) or until the custard is barely set (trembles like gelatin). Remove the pan from the water bath. Cool on a rack. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Run a thin knife between the flan and the sides of the mould, Unmould on a serving platter.
Good to know
It is preferable to prepare the custard a day ahead.
Tip for cleaning
To remove hardened caramel from bottom of the dish, heat it in the microwave with some water.