Massala (Spice Mix)
PEPPER AND TOMATO STEW
- In a saucepan, brown the peppers, chilli and onion in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes over high heat. Add the pepper and vinegar. Toss to coat and cook for 1 minute. Add the water, tomatoes and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking, prepare the masala and the shrimps.
Masala (SPICE MIX)
- In a bowl, combine the spices. Set aside.
- With paper towel, pat the shrimp dry.
- In a hot skillet, brown half the shrimp in half the oil, 1 minute per side. Season with salt. Set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Place all the shrimp in the skillet and sprinkle with the masala. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Drizzle with the lime juice. Season with salt.
- Serve the shrimp on the warm stew.
Some peppers have a nice aroma and are not too spicy and this is the type of peppers that I advise you to use for this recipe. You can also use ancho or Guajillo, or even a little smoked paprika.