- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and stir in the butter. Set aside.
- Cut off the apple tops. With a melon baller, core the apples to form approximately 30 ml (2 tablespoons) cavities. Stuff the apples with the amaretti mixture enough to form a dome on top of each apple.
- Place the apples in a 23-cm (9-inch) square baking dish. Pour the maple syrup on and around the apples. Bake for about 50 minutes, depending on the type and size of the apples, or until the apples are tender.
- Serve the apples with the cooking juices.