FISH AND CHIPS
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Keep refrigerated.
FISH AND CHIPS
- Submerge the potatoes in warm water and let soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 170°C (325°F). Place a rack on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 100 °C (200 °F) to keep the fries warm while cooking the fish.
- Drain and dry the potatoes in a clean cloth.
- Cook the potatoes in the fryer and cook for about 2 minutes. Drain the fries and place on the rack. Cool. Increase the oil temperature to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) flour and salt. Add the water and beer. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Set aside at room temperature.
- Cut each fillet in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Put the potatoes back into the fryer and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until the fries are golden brown. Remove from the fryer and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and keep warm.
- Season the fish pieces with salt and pepper and dip in the remaining flour, shaking to remove the excess. Then dip each piece in the batter and coat well. Drain and fry a few pieces at a time, shaking the basket from the fryer to prevent them from sticking to the bottom. Cook for about 4 minutes. Remove the fish and drain on the rack. Sprinkle with salt. Keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining pieces of fish. Serve with the sauce.