- In a saucepan, soften the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, wilt the spinach with the garlic in the oil. Squeeze through a sieve and let cool.
- In a food processor, purée the spinach, garlic, ricotta, Parmesan and eggs. Add the flour and pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- With two tablespoons, shape the dough into dumplings with about 30 ml (2 tablespoons) each and drop them in a pan of salted simmering water. Cook a dozen at a time for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and oil lightly. Set aside.
- Place the warm sauce in a large serving dish and top with the polpette. Garnish with Parmesan shavings and basil leaves. Season with pepper.