- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and pulse for a few seconds at a time, until the mixture has a grainy texture. Add the cream and pulse again for a few seconds at a time until the dough begins to form in a ball. Remove the dough from the food processor. Form a ball with your hands.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 15-cm (6-inch) square. Cut the dough into four squares and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with the sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool. Cut the shortcake in half horizontally. Garnish with whipped cream and fruit.
There must be pieces of butter the size of peas left in the flour. This will give a flaky texture to the shortcakes. Do not overwork the dough after adding the cream.
Take this opportunity to try a coarser sugar such as turbinado or raw sugar.