- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Reduce the speed and add the sifted flour.
- Beat until the flour is just incorporated.
- Add the spice blend, and then thoroughly incorporate the eggs, one at a time.
- Pour into a buttered and floured 12 X 4-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until a toothpick comes out clean (about 60 minutes).
- After removing the cake from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then drizzle with the rum.
- Unmould the cake when completely cooled.
- The cake will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
It is easy to prepare a Caribbean-Style extract for you desserts; in a jar, combine 1 cup dark rum, 4 vanilla beans, a tonka bean, a crushed sapote pod, a little mace and allspice. Leave to stand for a month. Use and store like vanilla extract.