- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the ground almonds, icing sugar, eggs, cream and almond extract. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to make two 25-cm (10-inch) discs. Spread the almond filling on a disc of dough to cover about 17-cm (7-inch). Place the pea and bean in the filling, opposite one another. Glaze the dough around the filling with the beaten egg or milk. Cover with the second disc of dough.
- With a fork, press to seal the dough all around. With a knife, cut the dough for a uniform disc. You can use a bowl, placed upside-down, on the dough as a guide to cut all around.
- Place the cake on a floured baking sheet. Brush with the milk or egg. The egg gives a golden brown color.
- Bake at the lowest position of the oven for about 25 minutes or until the cake is golden brown. Serve at room temperature.
You could take that same set of ground almonds, icing sugar, eggs, cream and almond extract to spread in a store-bought baked croissant. You simply have fill to partially slice the croissants and bake them at 150 °C (300 F) for about fifteen minutes. It makes for excellent almond croissants.