- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter and water. Using your fingers, work the mixture until the dough forms clumps.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth. Shape into a 15-cm (6-inch) square. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- Meanwhile, mix together the butter and flour in a bowl. Place the mixture on a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a 15-cm (6-inch) square block. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 46 x 20-cm (18 x 8-inch) rectangle.
- Using a brush, remove any loose flour from the dough’s surface. Place the butter block in the centre and fold one edge of the dough halfway over the butter. Brush any loose flour from the dough. Fold over the other edge. Using your fingers, seal the two sides, enclosing the butter.
- Turn the dough over, seam side down, on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin, gently tap the dough from top to bottom to soften the butter. Roll into a 46 x 20-cm (18 x 8-inch) rectangle. Brush away any loose flour. Fold both short edges toward the centre so they barely touch.
- Brush away any loose flour. Fold the dough in half, as though closing a book. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Repeat the process 2 more times, being sure to chill the dough for 1 hour between each session.