- Line a 20-cm (8-inch) square pan with plastic wrap and oil lightly.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, corn syrup and coconut milk. Heat on low, stirring until the sugar and gelatin have dissolved.
- Pour into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until it is the texture of a soft meringue, about 10 minutes.
- Spread in the pan and refrigerate about 1 hour.
- Spread the shredded coconut on a sheet of parchment paper. Unmould the marshmallow and place it on the coconut. Coat thoroughly.
- Cut the marshmallow into 60 squares (6 x 10) or 8 to 10 strips. Coat with coconut. Store in an airtight container.
The coconut coating is optional. If you don’t opt for the coconut, coat the marshmallows with an equal mixture of sifted cornstarch and powdered sugar and then shake to remove any excess.