- In a large saucepan, soften the onion in the butter. Add the cabbage, broth, potato, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaves.
- In a blender, purée the soup until smooth and add the cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, brown the bacon until crisp. Drain and let cool on paper towels. Crumble.
- In the same skillet, brown the bread in the hot fat. Let cool.
- Serve the soup and garnish with bacon and croutons.