- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Place the endives, side by side, in a 33 x 23-cm (13 x 9-inch) baking dish. Drizzle with the lemon juice and sprinkle with the sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the endives are tender. Drain the endives and discard the drippings. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter with the garlic. Sprinkle with the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the cheese and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Wrap each endive half in ham and place in the baking dish. Spoon the sauce over and bake until golden brown. Serve as a main dish with rice or as a side dish with roasted meat.
Mornay is a béchamel sauce which has grated Gruyere cheese added and often an egg yolk.