- In a bowl, combine the nuts, cranberries, and flour. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, caramelize the sugar with the butter for about 2 minutes. Add the apples and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with the cinnamon. Add the nut mixture and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Line a 23-cm (9-inch) pie plate with one pastry. Spread the apple filling in the pastry. Brush the edges of the dough with milk. Cut the second rolled-out pastry into strips, about 2-cm (¾-inch) wide. Brush with milk and place over filling, weaving the strips to form a lattice. Press the edges of the strips on the pie with a fork or your fingers. Remove any excess dough.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any dripping juices that could overflow from the pie. Bake for about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
Freezes well when baked.