- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- In an ovenproof pan or Dutch oven, brown the meat on each side in half the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the chicken broth. Set aside.
- In the same pan, brown the shallots and garlic in the remaining oil.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Return the meat to the pan and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and place in the oven to braise for about 4 hours or until the meat is very tender.
Nantes carrots have a rounded shape and are smaller and sweeter than regular carrots.
If you wish to make this recipe in the slow cooker, proceed until step 4. At step 5, place the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low temperature for 8 hours.