- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the milk with the clementine zest and juice. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, fennel seeds, and salt. Add the butter and cream cheese and pulse a few seconds at a time until they are the size of peas. Add the milk mixture and pulse just enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
- On a floured work surface, place the dough. Add the dates and combine with your hands. Roll out or pat the dough down into a 23-cm (9-inch) square. Cut the dough into 16 squares and place on the baking sheet, spacing them evenly.
- Brush the scones with the cream. Bake for about 18 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool completely. Serve with hard cheeses.
If you serve these scones for breakfast, sprinkle them with brown sugar or sugar before baking.