- Preheat shortening or oil in the deep fryer to 190 °C (375 °F). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, lemon zest and sugar with an electric mixer for about 1 minute or until frothy. Add ricotta and mix thoroughly. With a spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients until batter is just moistened.
- With a 15 ml (1 tablespoon) ice cream scoop, gently drop 8 balls of batter at a time in hot oil. Beware of splattering. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until doughnuts are golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Let cool.
- To serve, generously dust with icing sugar.
Doughnuts are best eaten at room temperature and ideally the same day.