- In a large pot, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the rhubarb. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the filling into eight 1 ½-cup (375 ml) ramekins and place on a baking sheet. The baking sheet is needed to catch any juices that overflow. Set aside.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until the batter is smooth. At low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Spoon the batter into the ramekins over the rhubarb filling. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold. Top with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
For a rhubarb-lemon version of this recipe, you can replace the vanilla in the cake batter with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of lemon juice and the grated zest of 1 lemon.
The pudding cake can be made in one 10-cup (2.5 liter) soufflé dish. In this case, the baking time is closer to 1 hour 30 minutes.