- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- With a melon baller or apple corer, remove the core of the apples, not piercing through the bottom.
- On a work surface, make several slices accross the apples, without cutting through. Place in a baking dish. Drizzle with the lemon juice. Place 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) of the butter and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the brown sugar in the centre of each apple and top with the remaining butter. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the apples are very tender. Right out of the oven, baste the apples with their cooking juices.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.