- In a saucepan, brown the onion in the butter. Add the meat and cook while crumbling with a wooden spoon. Add white wine and reduce until almost dry. Add the broth and breadcrumbs and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. Add the garlic and arugula and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool. Add the pecans.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F). Line a 43 x 30 cm (17 x 12-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and water with fork. Set the egg wash aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry into two 25 cm (10-inch) squares.
- Place a square on the baking sheet. Spread the filling in the centre of the square, up to 1 cm (½ inch) of the edges. Brush the borders with the egg wash and top with the second square of dough. Press the edges to seal the dough. If necessary, cut the excess dough to form a straight square.
- Brush the entire surface with the egg wash. With the tip of a knife, draw lines on the surface, without piercing the dough, to create a pattern on the pastry. Make a hole in the center to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with Raspberry Pickled Beets (see recipe) or fruit ketchup.
The meat mixture can be prepared a day or two in advance, but it is best to assemble the pie just before baking. If you want to freeze the pie, do it before baking.