- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F). Generously butter six muffin cups.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 3-mm (1/8-inch) thick sheet. With a cookie cutter the same diameter as the muffin cups, cut six circles. Place on a plate and refrigerate.
- In a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Cook over high heat until the sugar starts to caramelize. Add the apples and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon the apples and syrup into the buttered cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet to catch any overflowing syrup. Cover the apples with the dough. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Let cool for 2 minutes before flipping on the baking sheet. Serve warm or cold.