- In a skillet, sauté the onion in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the eggplant and zucchini in the oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. On a lightly oiled grill pan, cook them for about 1 minute per side.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ˚ C (375 ˚ F).
- In 4 small 12.5-cm (5-inch) in diameter gratin dishes or in a 23-cm (9-inch) Pyrex dish, lay the vegetables, overlapping and alternating them. Drizzle the tians with the garlic oil and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 10 minutes. Serve with meat or fish.
Roasted garlic is delicious. Garlic’s strong flavour mellows during the long cooking process. In a small saucepan, bring 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil and 8 cloves garlic, halved and sprout removed, to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.