- With two racks in the middle position (see note), preheat the oven to 170°F (80°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, vinegar, water and spices. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the spice mixture with a spatula.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip. Pipe teardrop-shaped (about 1 tbsp each) meringues on the prepared sheets.
- Place in the oven for 3 hours or until the meringues are completely dried and peel easily off the paper, turning and switching the baking sheets halfway through cooking. Let cool completely on the sheets.
- Dip the bottom of the cooled meringues in the chocolate. Place back on the baking sheets to let the chocolate set. The dried meringues will keep for about 3 weeks in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
This recipe calls for two racks in the middle position. Place one just above the centre and one just below.
For meringues that stay dry longer, dip them entirely in the chocolate.