- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt and crystallized ginger. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add the molasses, lemon zest and egg. Stir until smooth. Gradually add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk until the dough is smooth.
- In a shallow bowl, place the remaining sugar (1/4 cup). With a 1-tbsp (15 ml) ice cream scoop, shape dough balls. Finish rolling them with your hands and dredge in the sugar. Place them on the baking sheets, spacing them evenly.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for about 10 minutes or until the cookies slightly crack on top and the edges are golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet.
- The cookies will keep for about 1 week in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
These cookies freeze like a charm, even baked. Separate them in layers with parchment paper in a freezer bag and