- Wit the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- In a large ovenproof skillet over high heat, brown half the meat at a time, on each side, in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in the remaining butter (2 tbsp). Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the broth and mustard. Mix thoroughly. Return the meat to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for about 2 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Add the carrots and cook for 15 more minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the barley for about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Serve the barley with the beef and carrots.
The braised beef freezes well.