- In non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the onion in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add the vermicelli. Remove from the heat and let rest for 3 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold running water and drain. Snip the vermicelli with scissors to shorten.
- Add the noodles, carrot, cucumber, cilantro, mirin, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sambal oelek to the onions. Toss to coat.
- In the same skillet over high heat, brown the fish in the remaining oil until the desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the noodles and vegetables on serving plates. Garnish with the tomatoes and avocado. Top with the seared fish.