- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and line a 6-cup (1.5 litre) loaf pan with a strip of parchment paper, letting it hang over the sides.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine the orange juice and sour cream. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar, eggs and zest with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. At low speed, drizzle in the oil. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the juice mixture until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan, preferably on a wire rack. Unmould from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- In a bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and milk until the icing is smooth. Drizzle over the cake. Delicious with Blood Orange Marmalade (see below).
You can use any variety of orange in this recipe.
For pink icing, combine the icing sugar with blood orange juice instead of milk.