- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil with the carrots, celery, shallot and garlic. Let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- In a food processor or with an immersion blender, purée the vegetables and butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a large dish, combine the paprika, garlic powder, sugar, celery salt and cayenne pepper. Press one side of each fillet into the spice mixture.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the fish in the butter, two at a time, cooking for about 3 minutes per side, starting with the spiced side. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread the carrot purée in the middle of the serving plates. Top with the Swiss chard and fish steaks.