- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10 x 4-inch (25 x 10 cm), 6-cup (1.5 litre) loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil and egg with a whisk. Stir in the dry ingredients until the flour is just moistened. Set aside 1 tbsp of raisins for garnish and add the remaining ones to the batter.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with the reserved raisins and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean. Let cool completely before unmoulding.
- Cut into slices and serve. The bread will keep for several days at room temperature if well covered with plastic wrap.
You can replace the buttermilk with a mix of equal parts plain yogurt and milk.