- On a work surface, cut the parsnips and Jerusalem artichoke into ½-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Cut the turnips into thin wedges.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the pancetta and shallot in the butter. Add the vegetables and garlic. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, cream and thyme. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced by half.
- With a vegetable peeler, make small shavings of raw parsnip. Place in a bowl.
- Add the hazelnuts, oil and a few leaves of thyme. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place the stew in a serving platter and sprinkle with the garnish.