- In a food processor, finely chop the onion, garlic and pepper. Add the tofu and white beans. Pulse for a few seconds at a time until just the mixture is sticky.
- Add the green peas, eggs, flour, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt and spices. Puls a few times, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until the mixture isn’t completely smooth but still contains pieces of green peas. If the mixture is too puréed it will be very soft and difficult to shape into patties.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Using a ¼ cup (60 ml) ice cream scoop, shape the mixture into 18 balls and spread them out on the baking sheet.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook a third of the balls at a time in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil for 5 minutes on each side or until they are golden and have formed a light crust. Press down on the balls lightly after turning to shape them into patties. Add oil as needed. Keep warm.
- Serve the tofu patties with a green salad and skinless orange segments, if desired.
The patty mixture can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. They heat up well in the microwave oven.