- In a small saucepan over high heat, brown the shallots in ¼ cup (60 ml) of the oil. Add the piri piri and paprika. Cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining oil (¼ cup/60 ml), the wine, broth and butter. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
- On a work surface, place the chicken, breast side down. With a chef’s knife or kitchen shears, remove the backbone and push down to open the chicken flat.
- Season the interior and exterior with the salt and rub with the cut side of the lemon for about 3 minutes or until the salt begins to dissolve. Let rest for 5 minutes. Place the chicken in a large glass dish. Coat with ¼ cup (60 ml) of the spicy sauce. Cover with plastic wrap. Transfer the remaining sauce to an airtight container. Refrigerate the chicken and the sauce for 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat one side of the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- Drain the chicken. Place flat on the unheated section of the grill, skin side down. Close the lid and cook for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh, without touching the bone, reads 180°F (82°C). Finish by crisping the skin on the heated section of the grill.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the reserved spicy sauce.
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Brush generously with the reserved sauce.