- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, soften the onion and garlic in the oil. Add the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until golden brown.
- Add the rice, beans, tomatoes, broth, jalapeno and spices. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the rice. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the tortilla pieces on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the burrito casserole with cilantro. Serve with the tortilla chips and sour cream, if desired.