- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Let marinate at room temperature until ready to serve.
- In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Season with salt. Stir, cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour and spices in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs. Season with pepper. Place the crushed saltines in a third dish.
- Dredge the pork in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in the beaten eggs, letting the excess drip off. Then firmly press to coat with the saltines. Set aside on a large plate.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat ½ inch (1 cm) of oil. Fry several pork strips at a time for 6 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until golden brown and cooked through. Add oil, if needed. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Serve the rice, pickled vegetables and some pickling liquid in bowls. Top with the fried pork. Drizzle with hoisin sauce.
Crushed saltine crackers make a deliciously light and crunchy coating. Regular breadcrumbs and panko also work well.