- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, almond powder, baking powder and spices. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the brown sugar, orange zest and juice, sherry and dried fruit. Stir well and bring to a boil. Let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add the eggs and combine well. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients and the almonds.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Brush the surface of the cake with the almond liqueur. Let cool completely.
- The cake will keep for 1 week under a cake dome.