- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish and line the bottom with a sheet of parchment paper, letting the paper hang over two sides.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and icing sugar. Add the butter and combine until the dough forms. Press onto the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cornstarch and flour.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is smooth. With the mixer at low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and almond liqueur. Spread the almond cream over the warm shortbread. Arrange the drained cherries overtop. Sprinkle with the almond slices.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the almond cream is firm in the centre and golden brown. Let cool completely before unmoulding.
- Cut into squares. The cherry and almond squares will keep for 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.