- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter the bottom of two 8-inch (20 cm) springform pans. Do not butter the sides.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar using an electric mixer for 10 minutes or until the mixture triples in volume and forms a ribbon as it falls from the beaters.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and gently fold in using a whisk. Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in their pans for 30 minutes on a wire rack, then flip the pans over and let cool completely. Unmould.
- In a bowl, combine the strawberry slices, half the icing sugar and the lemon zest and juice. Let macerate for 15 minutes. Strain the strawberries, keeping their juice separate, and set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the cream and the remaining icing sugar using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally to obtain 4 layers.
- Brush the cut surface of 3 of the layers with the strawberry juice. Spread each layer with 3/4 cup (180 ml) of the whipped cream and top with the strawberry slices. Stack the 3 layers and finish with the fourth one.
- Frost the cake with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate with several whole strawberries and a few sprigs of thyme, if desired.