- In a saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the quinoa for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Press to remove excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, pork, panko, egg, green onions, garlic, sesame oil and sambal oelek. Generously season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Working with lightly oiled hands, shape each meatball using 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the mixture. Set aside on a plate and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, mirin and hoisin sauce and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the green onions, ginger and garlic in the oil. Add the broth and cilantro sprigs. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the aromatics with a slotted spoon. Return to a boil and add the noodles, without stirring. Turn off the heat, cover and keep warm.
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown half the meatballs at a time in the oil over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. With all the meatballs in the skillet, stir in the soy sauce mixture. Continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce begins to caramelize and coat the meatballs.
- Ladle the broth and noodles into bowls and add the meatballs, bean sprouts and cilantro leaves.