- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the oats and syrup. Spread on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Stir well. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup (50 g) of the caramelized oats for the topping.
- In a bowl sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let bloom for 5 minutes.
- In a pot over medium heat, bring the milk to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the remaining caramelized oats. Cover and let infuse for 5 minutes. Strain to obtain 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) of milk. Discard the oats.
- Return the milk to the pot. Add the cream and maple syrup, then bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the gelatin, whisking until completely dissolved.
- Divide the mixture among eight 1-cup (250 ml) glasses. Let cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours or until the panna cotta has set.
- Top each panna cotta with the cherries and reserved caramelized oats.