- In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter with the spices. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with pepper and set aside.
- Beat the egg in a shallow dish. Place the panko in a second dish. Season the tofu with salt and pepper.
- Dip the tofu in the beaten egg. Shake to remove any excess, then firmly press into the panko to coat.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown half of the tofu at a time in the oil. Add oil, if needed. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve the tofu with the lettuce wedges and the barbecue sauce.